The evenings are long, and the days are short.
When the sun eventually rises perhaps we can be hopeful for a fresh blue day ahead, despite the cold frosty weather. In these conditions it’s easy to become demotivated and wrap ourselves up taking comfort in a hot toddy, or two, (or even three)!
Our bodies and minds are a sucker for routine. (Just think about your sleep and wake patterns).
With a gradual change of season, we too can sometimes go into a ‘fitness hibernation’ until the warm weather is back again to inspire our fitness regime!
Along with the start of winter, our journey from the top of the slippery slope might also begin!
However, all is not doom and gloom here is the 21/90 rule!
The great news is that we adapt to routines quite fast. We adapt within 18-21 days.
You might already know of the 21-90 rule? This means that if you can do your personal routine for up to 21 days this will become a habit of at least 90 more days, and then it is your lifestyle!
Great! The right amount of time to burn some fat then!
Let us apply this 21/90 rule to our current or beginning fitness routine. (Bearing in mind that we all have the added challenge of the COVID -19 lockdowns).
The closing of gyms has of course made our fitness goals much harder. However, it does not alter the 21-90 rule. In fact it is more likely that you are experiencing less distractions and excuses during these times, Perfect conditions to attain your goals.
Here are some fundamental points for achieving fitness during lockdown.
- Be REALISTIC. You may not have access to the amount of weights you would normally use at your local gym, but you can still integrate some resistance and challenge with reps: https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/what-are-reps#takeaway along with *bands and dumbbells.
- Say to yourself: ‘I may not get the same results as before but I can certainly fatigue the muscle with higher *reps! I can also use the same amount of variation in my exercises (If not more).
Coupled with some cardio time and sensible eating this will also lead to rapid fat loss, Yay!
The rule behind all success! Perhaps you might want to start with 20 mins per day, for four times per week. You know yourself well enough, do you want to push yourself 30 to 40 mins five to six times per week?
Whatever level you are comfortable starting at, the main point is to congratulate yourself, you have started!
EAT TO MATCH YOUR OUTPUT!
Most people have gained a lot of weight (Fat) during lockdown because they are either A), Eating out of boredom (being beside the kitchen all day long) or B), Eating the same number of calories they would normally eat when the gyms are open and when they are moving around at work, (only now they are much more sedentary)!
Think the following:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/why-we-need-to-eat-carbs/: Energy for your body and brain to function. Eat too many of the wrong carbohydrates coupled with not enough output, and your body will store and convert these excess carbs as Fat.
These help to build and repair the body, such as skin, hair muscle and bone. (Do you still require the same intake as you would when training was more demanding at the gym)?
This substance is also an energy source for your body so you need to watch the amount and type you are having and what you are having it with, REMEMBER Carbohydrates are also an energy source for your body! Remember what happens when your body does not require excessive amounts of energy sources? The ( glycogen) https://www.musclesound.com/2016/05/23/what-is-glycogen/ eventually get stored as FAT! https://news.berkeley.edu/2012/12/06/gene-converts-carbs-to-fat/
MAKING THE FIRST MOVE: TOP TIPS FOR GETTING AND REMAINING MOTIVATED
- Don’t over think your decision! Put on your trainers at a scheduled time each day without a second thought. This scheduled time is important for beginning/maintaining a routine. Make it the same time each day.
Do not stop to think with negative questions such as
“Do I feel like it?” or “ I will do my workout it after this movie!”
If you are doing a routine cardio session at home (on the bike for example), you are entitled to have fun. Put on your headphones or watch a Netflix movie at the same time. You will see how quickly the time passes! What a great time to binge-watch your favourite series!
Be aware of the FOOD you buy!
- During the festive and New Year season it’s so easy to buy the treats on sale at your local supermarket. Buy these in moderation and constantly think about the progress you are embarking on before making such purchases.
Think your way to success!
- Stay focused (including on your bad days also, complete a slightly shorter circuit if you don’t feel quite up to it rather than none at all).
WE can offer you FREE SUPPORT ONLINE VIA EMAILS
You can also contact MG Nutrition at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like FREE support and advice throughout your lockdown fitness journey.
(Please note that this information on our blog is based on someone who is already aware of their health status and knows that they are fit enough to start a fitness programme. If you are in doubt due to a medical condition, you must contact a professional Doctor/Physician first).
Want to become an MG Nutrition Ambassador? SEND US YOUR PIC NOW!! email@example.com
- Do you look fit and are you healthy? You will become a role model so this is important. (Email or instagram us your pic and we will decide).
- Have you competed in any sport’s competition, such as Rugby, Running. (Bodybuilding included of course!) Or are you embarking on your first show/competition in the future?
- You must be of the minimum age (18 years).
- Are you confident and happy to share and post your pics while wearing the MG brand?
- You must be disciplined enough to advertise and represent us well, including regular posts that reflect you in a mature and inspiring manner!
- 25% off then increasing to 35% off ALL MG Products online!
- Regular exposure of your fitness journey and goals on MG’s social media and website!! – Boost your tags and likes from MG and our supportive followers including fitness magazines who follow us)!
- FREE MG Fitness T Shirt and other MG accessories to advertise yourselves, as well as us!
- Beginners guide and advice during first time bodybuilding competition prepping.
- An MG Welcome pack with pre-workout and protein freebies!
- A real confidence booster and sense of achievement for you as an individual (especially if you are just starting out). We really want to hear from you!!
- You will always feature in our blogs and newsletters!
What to do next:
- Send us a pic that best reflects your fitness status currently with a short paragraph on why you would like to join the MG Team?
- Wait for a reply, and if you are successful you will receive a FREE MG Fitness T and welcome pack!
GOOD LUCK! Love health, love life, love MG!
“Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
1 Corinthians 6:19 http://1 Corinthians 6:19